Colebrook Historical Society: (17 Bridge St, Colebrook, NH 03576)
Second floor of the Colebrook Town Hall. Maps, photographs, manuscripts, court records, business / organizational records, and local history items shared here. A museum annex of the Colebrook Historical Society is located in the lower level of the Tillotson Center at 14 Carriage Lane, Colebrook, NH. It houses an antique fire engine and other displays of relics. This small museum offers one the taste of Colebrook's yesteryears. Open 10-2 every Saturday from June through August.
Pittsburg Historical Society: (Located in the old Town Hall, across from the Police Station)
This museum was formed in early 1982. It is filled with memories of Pittsburg's past. Meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. from April through November.
Canaan Historical Society: (Located on the second floor of the Alice Ward Memorial Library at 27 Park Street in Canaan, VT 05903)
Nineteenth-century classical revival building that once was a home, pub, post office, inn and a stop along the underground railroad. Open year round. Call 802-266-7135 for hours open.
Lemington Historical Society / Blodgett School House: (Located on VT Rt. 102 right next to Sims Hill Rd.)
Recently, Lemington's newly organized Historical Society was approved for a $10,000 grant from the Freeman Foundation. Located here is also the old Blodgett School. The Blodgett School included grades one through eight and was built in a meadow next to the Connecticut River in the early 1800s. It was filled with children of farmers until about the 1850s, when open land and the lure of gold pulled families out west. The school has been closed and then reopened numerous times. The Blodgett School contains two large slate blackboards and 14 two-seater desks. Chopped and stacked firewood for the wood stove was piled in the backroom near the water closets, one for the boys and another for the girls.
Stratford, NH Town Common Memorial Park - (Located in center of North Stratford)
Fletcher Memorial Park - (Located in Canaan VT, West Park St.)
Colebrook Memorial Park - (Located on Bridge Street, across from the Town Hall/ Historical Society)
Poore Family Homestead: (629 Hollow Road, Route 145, Stewartstown, NH 03576)
A historical homestead and settlement portraying one's life from the 1830's to the 1990's. The house, barns, and out-buildings hold a large collection of historical clothing, artifacts, newspapers, magazines, diaries and letters from the civil war to present, tools, horse drawn wagons, farming implements and a collection of everyday items. Download the brochure.
Clarksville, NH (Located in a triangular plot at the junction of NH Route 145 and Clarksville Pond Road)
At this point you stand at longitude 71 degrees, 24 degrees west from Greenwich, England. A line from this point through the center of the earth would emerge in the Indian Ocean 982 miles southwest of Perth, Australia.
Stewartstown, NH (Located on US Rt. 3, about .5 miles north of Stewartstown, NH)
As you stand at this point you are halfway between the Equator and the North Pole.
Republic of Indian Stream: (Historical marker located on the north side of US Rt. 3 at the town park)
In 1832 the settlers of the area between Indian Stream and Hall Stream, claimed by both Canada and the United States, set up the independent republic of Indian Stream. Yielding to New Hampshire in 1836, Indian Stream became part of Pittsburg and in 1842 was recognized by the United States territory.
Indian Stream One - Room School House: (Located on Tabor Rd. just off of Route 3 in Pittsburg, NH)
The Schoolhouse was built in 1897 and operated until 1939. In 1900, it was one of nine schoolhouses in Pittsburg. It has been handsomely restored with original contents, photos and memorabilia from former students. The bell from the Danforth School (purchased in 1897) hangs in the belfry. Several students of the schoolhouse carved their names and messages on the rear clapboards. The schoolhouse is on the State and National Register of Historic Places. Tours of the schoolhouse are available by contacting Roy Amey at the Amey Logyard nearby on Rte 3.
Indian Stream Cemetery: (Located on Tabor Road, 1/4 mile off of Rt. 3, in Pittsburg, NH)
Burial site of Minik (Mene) Wallace, a young Inuit, who in 1987 was brought with his father from Northwest Greenland to the United States by Admiral Perry’s polar expedition. The grave marker, in the middle rear part of the cemetery, features a small Inuit sculpture. The remarkable story of Minik’s life is told in “Give Me My Father’s Body” by Ken Harper. Many of Pittsburg’s early settlers including some who championed the Indian Stream Republic are interred in the cemetery.
Metallak: (From Colebrook, NH, take Route 145 north towards Pittsburg, NH. About 6 miles north there is a historical sign for Metallak. This is Creampoke Rd. on the right. North Hill Rd. is about 2 miles on the right.) A hunter, trapper, fisherman and guide, well and favorably known by the region’s early settlers. “The Lone Indian of the Magalloway” was the last survivor of a band of Abenaki inhabiting the Upper Androscoggin. Blinded by accidents, Metallak died in 1847 at the reputed age of 120. He is buried in the North Hill Cemetery.
Dixville Notch "First in the Nation": (Located on NH Rt. 26 at The Balsams Grand Resort Hotel)
"First in the Nation" New Hampshire has held the first-in-the-nation presidential primaries since 1920. With the first presidential "beauty contest" in 1932, our citizens have personally met the candidates and by popular ballot have declared their preference for their party's nominee. Since 1960, Dixville has been the first community in the state and country to cast its handful of votes in national elections. On election eve 100% of the eligible voters gather in the ballot room of The BALSAMS. At midnight polls open and a few minutes later promptly close. The results are broadcast around the world. (Recently the Balsams has changed hands and is under renovations. As such this tradition may see some changes...)
Log Drives: (Historical marker located on the west side of US Rt. 3, about 1.7 miles south of the center of Stratford, NH) This marker describes the process of sending lumber, logs and pulpwood to manufacturing centers by driving them down the Connecticut River. Hardy crews risked life and limb in the hazardous work on annual spring drives for many years until modes of transportation were improved and upgraded.
Check out the state historical highway markers in our area! Visit: New Hampshire Historical Resources.